Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Product Review: Alba Botanica Hawaiian Sunscreen SPF 45

Alba Bontanica Hawaiian Sunscreen SPF 45
I have been using Alba Botanica Natural Very Emollient Sunscreen, which I have written a review about in my past post, for a few months already. I think the said product is fine, and works well as a daytime moisturizer during the low-humidity periods. However, after using it for a few times during my jogging spree, I noticed that my skin has darkened a bit. So I decided to look for another product from the same brand which hopefully would work better, and has chosen the Alba Botanica Hawaiian Sunscreen SPF 45 because it cointains green tea (Skin care products containing green trea turn me on!). Besides, it contains higher SPF, longer water resistance time (80 minutes), and most importantly, it bears a seal of recommendation from the Skin Cancer Organization.


Product Name: Alba Botanica Hawaiian Sunscreen SPF 45
Price and Availability: Php375.00 (Healthy Options) / 113g (4oz), Amazon
Ingredients:
Active Ingredients: Homosalate 10%, Octocrylene 10%, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate 7.5%, Ethylhexyl Salicylate 5%, Titanium Dioxide 2%
Inactive Ingredients: Aqua (Water), Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Dimethicone, VP/Hexadecene Copolymer, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice*, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract*, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract*, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract*, Gingko Biloba Leaf Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower Extract*, Cetearyl Olivate, Polysorbate 60, Silica, Sodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Sorbitan Olivate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Xanthan Gum, Alcohol*, Benzyl Alcohol, Ethylhexyl Glycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Citronellol, Geraniol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Limonene, Linalool, Fragrance (Parfum)
* Certified Organic Ingredient
(Comedogenic ingredients: Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, and Glyceryl Stearate SE, Irritant: Alcohol)
Remarks: 
According to cosdna.com database: Cetearyl Alcohol and Cetyl Alcohol are highly comedogenic. Glyceryl Stearate SE is moderately comedogenic. Alcohol is an irritant.

Descriptions:
SPF 45
100% vegetarian ingredients
no parabens, pthalates, or harmful sulfates
water resistant (80 minutes)
broad spectrum

Review:
Back view.

A closer view at the back of the package.

Alba Botanica Hawaiian Sunscreen SPF 45 is white in color and has a slightly thick texture. It has a faint sweet smell, not really like of green tea, but of a mixture of plants and flowers. The texture makes it easy to apply on the face. A little bit of effort can easily blend the product into the skin, leaving a white-less layer of protection.

Since I have oily skin, I very much prefer this product compared to my previous Alba Botanica Natural Very Emollient Sunscreen. My skin appears less greasy (but still kind of shiny) and therefore more cosmetically appealing. For now, I've never tried applying anything on top of my sunscreen, so I'm not sure how it would fare if combined with makeup. Personally though, I hate to combine products. I would rather wear my sunscreen alone and that would be enough.

Before applying the sunscreen, I don't need any moisturizers at all. The formulation itself is emollient enough. I apply my daily benzoyl peroxide for my acne-prone skin, and then the sunscreen. By midday, I need to blot my face because my skin becomes extremely greasy.

The packaging doesn't indicate anything about being noncomedogenic. Despite that, I didn't have any problems with breakouts. That may be because after every workout, I wash my face immediately so as to avoid clogging the pores with sweat and sunscreen. During normal office days, I wear the sunscreen all day, and at night, remove the sunscreen with my reliable Clean & Clear facial wash. I never leave the sunscreen on overnight.

Pros:
- has a stable sunscreen formula 
- has SPF 45, which is slightly higher than the minimum requirement of SPF 30
- water resistant
- emollient, good for slightly dry to normal skin
- affordable

Cons:
- people with very oily skin will find it a bit too greasy
- may clog pores

Verdict:
After trying both products from the same Alba Botanica line, I would say I prefer this one. It is less oily and provides more protection against both UV A and B rays. It's impressive sun protective properties outweighs the slightly greasy feel it gives me. I would definitely repurchase this product. 

Rating:
4.5/5

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...