Friday, November 4, 2011

My Dermatologist

I used to have a lot of pimples. My lack of knowledge on skin care had worsened my acne condition. I rubbed and scrubbed my face and overused topical medications. My skin was peeling so badly. But I endured all these unsightly marks thinking that acne is normal for teenagers. High school passed then came college. My skin became a bit better, as a friend suggested me to use Likas Papaya Soap which has salicylic acid ingredient. However, my skin was still flaky and dry. Breakouts would still occur from time to time as college life was quite stressful. Now that I’m way beyond those teen years, I still get breakouts. It was only a few years ago that I decided to see a dermatologist.

My dermatologist gave me a facial. Every session he would manually tweeze my pimples using his special equipments, a procedure called extraction. It wasn’t that painful. He gave me a skin care regimen to follow daily. So there, I would always buy those skin care products from his clinic. Those bottles didn’t have any brand names. Only the active ingredients were included in the label. I had no clear idea what products I was using.

I painstakingly did my research. I learned about the ingredients found in personal care products. I also learned how to read the labels. I stopped buying products from my dermatologist and started switching to store-bought products. I realized that by doing this, I could save more money. Of course this is not something that you could simply do especially when you have severe acne. If you have controllable acne, you could just rely on good personal care products for better skin. Of course, research thoroughly and see which works best for you. Read my article Skin Care 101.

Of course, my dermatologist was good. After a few sessions, my skin became smoother and clearer. The only problem I had was the brandless products. For me, it would have been better if he just suggested some personal care product brands that were suitable for me instead of selling me his own. Recently, a friend passed by another skin care clinic only to find out some of the dermatologist's employees filling out dozens of empty plastic bottles with a certain skin care product. Now that might be what my own dermatologist was doing. 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...