Friday, February 24, 2012

Aging Gracefully

Photo by Ambro via Freedigitalphotos.net
I came across a yearbook of my mom's friend - a sixty-year anniversary book to be specific. What's special about it is that in addition to the students' black and white solo pictures taken during the year of the graduation were the photos of the students taken after sixty years.

I enjoyed looking at the yearbook because I was able to see the before and after look of each person. I've been accustomed into seeing celebrities' transition through the years on television. Yet, their transition is minimal because of how much they have invested on age-defying measures. It's really interesting to see how everyday people change after several years. It's hard to imagine that these elderly people were once young just like me. That had made me wonder how I would look like myself a few decades after.

I've been at a certain point when I became so afraid of getting wrinkles. I tried sleeping on my back to avoid leaving creases on my face. I've also slathered SPF creams over my face everyday before I go out of the house. Despite these measures, I am sure that I would never escape aging. I later realized that there is nothing to be afraid of what's natural. What is important is that I have family and friends who will grow old along with me.

There is nothing wrong on trying to slow down the aging process. After all, who doesn't want to look young? In my personal opinion though, just don't be obsessed with it. Sadly, there are a lot of people who resort to extreme measures that often make them appear unnatural. Aging gracefully should be what we should look up to. Eat well, sleep well, protect your skin from the sun, and pamper your skin everyday are what you could do to prolong your youthfulness. Most importantly, smile, because it makes everyone look young and beautiful.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...