Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Product Review: Laneige Light Balancing Emulsion


I"ve been using Jason Natural Soothing 98% Aloe Vera Moisturizing Gel for my daily skin care routine. In general, it works fine, but the texture is too tacky for my liking. So I decided to go to the mall to hunt for a new moisturizer. I decided to go for a bit high-end type of product, so I chose Laneige Light Balancing Emulsion, which has many positive reviews across the net. However, the emulsion is supposed to be applied before the moisturizer, which is being sold separately. Knowing that Korean skincare routine requires tons of products (FYI, Laneige is a Korean product) as compared to my preferred routine, I neglected to buy the moisturizer as a combo to this. Instead, I would just use the emulsion as my sole moisturizer.


Product Name: Laneige Light Balancing Emulsion

Price and Availability: Php1,500.00/120ml (Laneige Philippines), Amazon

Ingredients:
Water, Butylene Glycol, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Propanediol, Pentaerythrityltetraisostearate, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein/ PVP Crosspolymracter, Dimethicone, PEG-40 Stearate, Cyclohexasiloxane, Algae Extract, Glycogen, Glutamic Acid, Glycerin, Niacinamide, Dimethicone / Vinyl Dmethicone Crosspolymer, Lysine HCL, Magnesium Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Beta-Glucan, Zigiber Officinale (Ginger) Root Extract, Salicornia Herbacea Extract Lactobacillus / Water Hyacinth Ferment, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Mannitol, Serine, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sorbitan Stearate, Sucrose, Stearyl Behenate, Citrulline, Alanine, Arginine, Aommonium Acryloyl Dimethyltaurate / VP Copolymer, Inulin Lauryl Carbamate, Carbomer, Threonine Polyglyceryl-3 Methylglucose Distearate Polysorbate-20, Polysilicone-11, PCA, Histidine HCL, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate / Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Hydroxypropyl Bispalmitamide Mea, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Disodium EDTA, Tramethamine, Fragrance

Remarks: Within the list above, Cetearyl Alcohol  scores 4 out of 5 in terms of comedogenicity.

Descriptions:

According to the label:
- Controls excess sebum and balances hydration for clear and transparent skin.
- Dermatologist tested
- For combination to oily skin types
- Made in Korea

Review:


Despite having one highly comedogenic ingredient in the list, I still decided to go for the product and see if it works for me. The emulsion comes in a large bottle with a pump and cap. I find the packaging very pretty yet simple. The bluish color of the bottle suggests the hydrating effect of the contents.

The emulsion is white in color with a runny consistency. It's very light when applied. The scent is very faintly floral, which I like. One to two squirts is enough for my entire face. It is very easy to spread and the texture is very slippery on the skin. The product is absorbed easily into the skin. It reminds me of my previous moisturizer Kiehl's Ultra Facial Oil-Free Gel Creamwhich works great but comes in a not-so hygienic jar. In comparison, both delivers well due to their lightweight consistency. I can use both as a primer to my BB cream. However, when it comes to the packaging, the easy-to-use pump from Laneige is the clear winner.

One squirt goes a long way..


A swatch of the product. It's really very runny.


Here's what it looks like when applied into the skin.



Is the emulsion enough as a moisturizer? If you have very oily face like mine, it is definitely enough. I even used this during the winter season in Tokyo, and I didn't experience any breakout, peeling, or windburn. Perhaps using it along with a sunscreen (I was using Alba Botanical Hawaiian Sunscreen at that time) had helped a lot.

Now that I'm back in Manila, and the summer has passed, I notice that I still do get breakouts (I use it at nighttime only during the humid months). During my last visit to the dermatologist, he suggested skipping the moisturizer in my routine or using it at least occasionally. I still moisturize though whenever I see a peeling from my acne medications.

To sum up, here's a rundown of the pros and cons:

Pros:
- beautiful and user-friendly packaging
- does not cause breakouts
- very lightweight
- a few squirts goes a long way

Cons:
- might not be as moisturizing to dry skin
- price

Verdict:

Will I buy this product again? Perhaps. The price may be a bit turn-off, but at least it would take months for me to finish up a bottle. If you have very oily skin like me and doesn't mind spending a bit more, then this product is for you.

Rating: 4.5/5
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...